Thursday, April 5, 2012

Blooms, April 5, 2012

Blooms in the greenhouse, April 5, 2012

Left click on image for a larger picture.

WOW!

Today's WOW blossom when I walked into the greenhouse was David Kirchhoff's H. 'Barbara Mandrell'. This flower is one of the cleanest saturated reds that I have seen. The form is full and round, the petal edges are edged in gold and nicely ruffled. The white watermark accentuates the lime green throat.  So far, my favorite flower in the greenhouse. I am showing the flower in the largest size allowed by blogger. If you want to see it larger, left click on the image.


Another of the named varieties blooming was H. 'Chattaboogie', one of my 2010 introductions.  The scape is around 30" tall and I have seen the blossom up around 6". It is a polychrome of pale yellow with a pink tinge and a crimson eye and petal edge. Out in the garden, the teeth are more prominent than in the greenhouse.


Another red that I am quite fond of is my friend, Stan Holley's H. 'Doug's Caress', (2009). A deep saturated red with ruffled petal edges trimmed in gold. A white watermark leads to a green heart. Very striking and pod and pollen fertile.


The new seedling blooming today is Seedling No. 1106 (Singular Sensation X Wonder Of It All). Yes, another WOIA kid. This seedling is probably not an introduction, but I am using it a lot as a pod parent. It is a nice smooth flower or a clear color with a big green throat and green edge. I am hoping it will give me some nice green edged seedlings.

Well, that is it for today. As always, I look forward to the bloom tomorrow.

Life is very, very good

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment