Friday, September 10, 2010

Potted seedlings . . .

Comments can be made at the end of this page . . . it is easy and I would like to know how you enjoy the blog. If it not against your nature, please identify yourself.
 
A left click on your mouse will give you a larger picture.

I just made a trip to the greenhouse for some information and checked the thermometer. This morning we had a lot of cloud cover and about 1:00 pm (eastern) the sun broke out from behind the clouds and the temperature has soared inside to 106° with the sun going in and out of the clouds.


On August 2, I began transplanting seedlings that I had started in peat pots to trade one gallon pots (sometimes called cheater pots). The first 150 peat pots were started on June 21. The remainder were started on August 2. I completed transplanting the first 500 on September 1st. So it took me almost a month to transplant the first 500. I will admit, I did not work too hard at it working mostly mornings unless I had doctors appointments scheduled. This was a lot more labor intensive than I had figured . . . but isn't that the way with most daylily stuff? The bench they are sitting on is 4' X 40', divided into 4 10' sections. I have inserted a plastic lining to be able to water from the bottom if I so choose, or IF I go on a vacation, I can put water in the beds to keep them from drying out. The potted seedlings are above.


The last image that I posted of the seedling trays that had been treated with Essential Plus 1-0-1 was made on August 29. The following picture was taken today, September 10. Go back and forth to compare. I believe they have now had three treatments with Essential Plus 1--0-1.


A seedling was re-blooming today out in the display beds. It was Seedling No. 0739 (Rage Of Paris X Wonders Never Cease) both parents are introductions from the late Bob Carr. It has a 6"+ flower on a 27" scape. I wish the scape were a little taller, but ya takes what ya gets! Here is 0739.


Now is the time to start planning to attend the Daylily Hybridizer's Summit in Chattanooga (formerly the Myrtle Beach meeting)  on December 3-5, 2010. For more information, contact: LeePickles@epbfi.com or David Kirchhoff at Hybridizer@aol.com.

Exciting things happen to those who hybridize daylilies!

Life is very, very good. Remember, when the bloom is gone, you still have your friends!


Lee





No comments:

Post a Comment