Monday, July 5, 2010

Field bloom 9 . . .

Comments can be made at the end of this page . . . it is easy and I would like to know how you enjoy the blog. If it not against your nature, please identify yourself.
 
A left click on your mouse will give you a larger picture. 

I occasionally get asked if I don't get tired traveling around the country speaking to clubs and organizations. My answer is "No, I enjoy every minute of it." I hear from people all the time saying that they learned something from my presentation. I received the following a couple days ago and I have asked permission from Teresa Dillion of Michigan to share her email to me with you. With her permission:


"Lee,
Just a note to let you know how much I appreciate your posts on the robin and your blog. Your seedling pictures were a great encouragement to me this spring, long before we had bloom here in MI,

We are almost at peak bloom now. I am enjoying the appearance of new seedlings each day.

I want you to know that I credit you a great deal for my understanding and desire to hybridize. You gave a presentation to Southern MI. Daylily Society and showed the detailed parts of a daylily and explained the entire process of hybridizing. You also encourage us to try and all kinds of hybridizing, unlike other speakers that said to make a selection of a certain type of daylily and work with only that one. I was unable to choose so I felt confused. The following summer after hearing you speak, I tried hybridizing. I was able to set pods and went a little overboard. I donated seeds to the seed bank because I had way too many to plant. Now I am seeing the results of my efforts.

When you came to Central MI. to speak, I was once again encouraged to continue my quest. My husband can not understand why I would want to create more work to do. Only another gardener would understand.

Thank you for making it all make sense to me. You planted a seed!

Teresa Dillon
Durand, MI.

P.S. I still have not decided what my focus is, but I am narrowing it down."
Kay Day Pricolla states, "We come to daylilies for the flower, and stay for the people." Well, Teresa is one of those people that make daylilies special. Her note really made my day, and no, I do not get tired of sharing my little bit of knowledge with others! Thank you Teresa for making my day.
A couple days ago, I commented that I was done walking the seedling fields because I was not seeing anything new. As I was traveling around on my John Deere, I went past the seedling field and spotted the seedling below clear across the field. It is Seedling No. 0045 (Roses And Gold X Some Sweet Day) Please enjoy!
After seeing the seedling, I went to the previously introduced bed and spotted two others to share with you.
 H. 'Victorian Crinoline' (Pickles, 2001) Height 30", bloom 5", season EM, Rebloom, Dormant, Tetraploid,  Creamy ivory tinged mulberry blend with deep mulberry eye above green throat. (Royal Braid X tetra Janice Brown).

H. 'What Dreams May Come' (Pickles, 2002) Height 28", bloom 5", season EM, Rebloom, Semi-Evergreen, Tetraploid,  Peachy mango blend with fuchsia eye above green throat. (Carlee Longman X Daring Dilemma). This one was on rebloom.

Exciting things happen to those who hybridize daylilies!

Life is very, very good.


Lee





No comments:

Post a Comment