Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Blooms, May 2, 2012


Blooms in the greenhouse, May 2, 2012

Left click on image for a larger picture.

I thought last week that the greenhouse was at peak, but I am beginning to wonder. It seems there are more spent blossoms in the deadhead bucket than last week. They just seem to keep on coming. I made a pledge to myself to stop hybridizing on May 1 and so far I have been able to resist (2 full days). However, I keep looking and thinking, "What would that look like with '?' on it?" I keep seeing all these red blossoms, blossoms with teeth on them and blossoms with green edges that are just crying out for someone to make them pregnant. Am I that person?


On April 29, there was one partially opened blossom in the field. On Monday, there were 3 blossoms open. Today there are 6, and the temps will hover around 90ยบ. Is this crazy weather, or what? Okay, here are today's saved seedlings in the greenhouse.

Seedling 2057 (Rockets Bursting in Air X Barbara Mandrell) Another of those round and full BM kids.


Seedling No. 2063 [(Shores of Time X Larry Grace) X (Shores of Time X Larry Grace)]. This was a self, something I rarely do but this time it seemed to work.


Seedling No. 2065 (Desire of Nations X Bluegrass Memories) Not as striking as the same cross in the previous post but never-the-less, a very nice flower.
Seedling No. 2067 [(Camelot Red X Doug's Caress) X Barbara Mandrell] Another of those round and full BM kids.






We will see if tomorrow I can continue to resist spreading some pollen.


Life is very, very good.

Lee


7 comments:

  1. Spectacularly wonderful and bold, Lee. Brings a tear to me eye, Liza. Why stop making seeds? You can always give the surplus to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee,
    Your reds are very nice this year. It's been great seeing them develop over the last 2-3 years on your blog. I would like to recommend another poolen parent to introduce to your reds as well as you Bluegrass Memories seedlings. Royal Extravaganza is producing some of the nicest seedlings for me this season in those areas. Please keep up the great work.
    Josh Jaques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josh,
      Good to hear from you. I looked up RE on the web, and it was a little out of my price range. However, a nice looking flower. Thanks for looking at my blog.
      Lee

      Delete
  3. Lee, those BARBARA MANDRELL seedlings just keep getting better & better! Love the form & color of the 1st & 4th seedlings, & especially the green throat on that 4th one. Beautiful! Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,
      "Ain't She Sweet", is the song that comes to mind when I look at Barbara. She is giving me some nice things. Thanks for looking.
      Lee

      Delete
  4. Lee, The Barbara Mandrell babies are some of the brightest reds I've seen and the green throat on this one really sets it off well. I've always been stumped when I think about good crosses for reds that are this clear. Of course you can always try to make them larger, with better branching or buds, or try for a white ruffled edge for contrast - but then I run out of ideas. It seems that the best quality that reds can have is their 'redness'.
    What additional qualities do you think about when you have a red seedling that is as nice as this one?
    I'm not good at 'Google' and can't get it to recognize me as anything but 'Unknown' so I'll just write myself in as,
    Diane, Riverbank, BC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      I like the addition of a white petal edge and a white watermark. I think both these traits really set off a red or purple flower. Thanks for looking at my blog.
      Lee

      Delete