Saturday, March 12, 2011

First cross of the 2011 season

This morning, I made the first cross of the 2011 season. It was nothing spectacular, but one that I really enjoy the color. The seedling, No. 0007 was a cross of tetra. Lavender Blue Baby X (Edge of Darkness X Lee Pickles)  shown at the left. The pollen I put on it was H. 'Get Jiggy'. I am hoping to keep the color that I like and get some interest in the flower. It may take me a generation or two so we shall see.
I am starting to see some scapes in the 8 month old seedlings in gallon pots in the greenhouse. This is exciting, bloom in 9 months. Never happened here before. Exciting times are coming.

We just returned from a week in California wine country, one of our favorite places to visit.

Life is very, very good

Lee

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lee, can you show us the difference in blooms in the patterned flowers, like Get Jiggy, say from first bloom and last bloom. That would be a great blog showing the effects of patterns as the bloom day to day. Jim Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim,

    This was not a current bloom on Get Jiggy, it was from my files. I use a lot of frozen pollen, especially in the beginning of the hybridizing season and this is one of those pollens that I have stored in the freezer. I am not sure that the pattern would show up that well in the greenhouse. Those things seem to show up best outside in the hot, hot sun.

    ReplyDelete