Friday, April 20, 2012

Blooms, April 20, 2012

Blooms in the greenhouse, April 15, 2012

Left click on image for a larger picture.

More 9-month blooms every day. Some are nice, many, as you would expect, are not. Just because a seedling is given a number, does not mean that it is destined for introduction. Some are just to be used in hybridizing as a bridge plant because they have some quality that I like. Again, we will add some named varieties at the end that are blooming and we are using in our hybridizing program. Here is the first seedling:


Here is the first 9- month seedling for the day. Seedling No. 2018 (Cherries Jubilee X Home of the Free). I got CJ a couple years ago from Melanie Mason specifically to bring some dormancy into my program. This seedling is almost the same color as CJ, plus the blossom is larger. I will not know if it is dormant until I have grown it in the field for a couple years.


A dark purple 9-month seedling. Seedling No. 2019 ([(Cosmic Sensation X Larry Allen Miller) X (Marietta Heartbeat]. Has great substance with a white edge on the petals and a nice green throat.
This is a repeat of a seedling that bloomed several days ago. Seedling No. 2010 (Rockets Bursting in Air X Barbara Mandrell) You may remember, on it's initial opening, it was triangular shaped. Since that initial blossom, all blooms have appeared as this one does.

Seedling No. 2016 [(Roses and Gold X Max Pickles) X (Shores of Time X Larry Grace)] Lots of green showing on this bloom. Will use it in my green edge program.




Now, for the named varieties that were blooming.


From my friend, Dave Hansen in Papillion, NE comes H. 'Michael Poliga' (Hansen 2009). I believe Dave named this one for his oldest grandson. His introduction picture shows the flower an little larger and with a lot more teeth. I am using MP in my toothy program. Dave lists the cultivar as 35" with a 6" bloom.
This is a seedling from Dan Trimmer with the garden name of Tom Allen, and although a few people have it, it was never registered. It is a big 6"+ blossom that has heavy substance and is very "puffy". I have several nice seedlings from it and continue to use it.

And, last but not least, my 2012 introduction H. 'Body and Soul'. 37" M SEv EMO Ext 5¼". 3-way branching, 18 buds.B&S has a nice green throat and a green, toothy petal edge. I am using it in my green edge breeding program.


That is it for today. I look forward what tomorrow will bring.


Life is very, very good.

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment