Sunday, April 8, 2012

Blooms, April 8, 2012

Blooms in the greenhouse, April 8, 2012

Left click on image for a larger picture.


Another great day in the greenhouse. Lots of blooms from many different cultivars. When I walked into the greenhouse this morning, the temperature was 51º, a little too cold to hybridize so I dead headed and did some general cleanup. The sun came out and the greenhouse quickly warmed to 65º, which is just great for setting pods. I was looking around this morning and removing tags from crosses that did not take, which were not many. I would estimate that 85% to 90% of my crosses have resulted in pods being set. Not bad.


The first seedling from the greenhouse this morning is No. 9058 (Judy Farquar X Belle Cook) which I believe will be released next year with the name H. 'Puttin' On The Ritz' which I have reserved. Just a nice clean flower with a nicely etched eye.


Another seedling that bloomed for the first time this morning is simply (Seedling X Seedling) until I have the time to research the parentage. I know, another yellow, but this flower has a lot of green in it so I will use it in my green edge program. However, what makes it special is the branching. This is a nine month seedling, blooming for the first time, and it has 5-way branching. See the image of the branching . . . you will have to enlarge this image.



One of the named cultivars to bloom this morning was Melanie Mason's H. 'Cherries Jubilee' (2009). It is a dark velvety red with a very nice green throat. As you can see, it is a bicolor. It is dormant, so I will be using it as a pod parent.

Each day when I leave the greenhouse, I look forward to my return the next morning to see what is blooming.

Life is very, very good.

Lee

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful surprise to see that eye and edge from Judy Farquhar x Belle Cook. So pretty. And your green yellow is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete